Friday, July 17, 2015

Brewster's Raindrop

Our oldest furbaby is a 12 year old Bichon Friese.
His name is Brewster, and he's one of the kids.  



For those of you who  are animal lovers, you know how much they truly become one of the family, and you want health for them every bit as much as you want it for your children.  

The kids want their fur brothers and sisters to be healthy too!


Unfortunately animals don't have the lifespan we'd like them to have, and as they age, they start to slow down, just like the rest of us.  

In Brewster's case, his teeth (like many small dogs) are his weak spot.  He's been to the doggy dentist twice for cleanings and extractions to the tune of over $1500. 

Last year the vet said his teeth were so bad she wouldn't touch them any more.  

Her advice was to take him to the University Vet Center.  She said it would require bone grafting, but that was the only option to keep him going.  



Here he is, asking to be picked up to go in the swing.  Seriously.  Somewhere I have pics of him in the swing. If the kids are doing it, Brewster wants in on the fun!


I adore this dog to the end of the earth.  He keeps me together when I feel like I'm going to lose it.  He's my glue.  My Brewster Glue.

I love him too much to put him through a surgery like that.  The recovery would be horrendous for him at this age, and I just can't bring myself to do it.

So, I did what I do...I researched every possible avenue I could think of to help him live out the remainder of his life here with us comfortably and in as good health as possible.

It's a bit of work, but he is sooo beyond worth it, that I'm happy to take all of these little steps daily.  During our cottage trip this year, he was having the time of his life.  He had more energy this year than he did two years ago!  



 Brewster and Sarah.  He saw her sitting on this 'chair tree' and he had to be a part of it...so up he went to have his picture taken. 

Brewster's  regime is made up of many things. 

1. He gets a teaspoon of food grade Diatomaceous Earth daily.  He takes this in a bit of yummy leftovers from whatever we had for dinner the night before.  

If I go a day without giving him his DE, we all know it.  
I believe this is a huge part of the reason he is still with us. It supports his system beautifully, and helps keep him well.

2. I spray his mouth (teeth/gums) with Colloidal Silver at least twice a day.  Just a squirt upper and lower on each side, and he's all of a sudden a bundle of energy!  I really think this helps with the pain because sometimes he is licking and licking his lips, and after the silver spray this stops and he is just ready to play, eat or go for a walk.  This is another thing that just helps support his body daily. 

3. I spray his mouth with a FANTASTIC product called DentaSure  from this company.  I couldn't believe how it whitened his teeth.  They are beyond getting completely white some of them, but this product made a HUGE difference in a matter of weeks, and we continue to use it long term, becuase it's yet another great support for his little 15 pound body. 



Brewster out in the kayak with Daddy and Charles.  
He really is one of the kids!



He won't miss out on a boat ride, or anything else the family is doing if he can help it. 
This time he's out with Gary and Sarah and Daddy in the canoe. 






And now he's at the play-offs watching his dad and brothers finish an un-defeated season of baseball, and being awarded the championship trophy!



4. Once a week to once a month, depending on how he's doing, I give him a 'raindrop massage' with Young Living Essential Oils.

I started out using the regular raindrop kit and adding in Copaiba, but this week I decided to try a line-up of oils I thought would best suit him.  

(A quick search for "doggie raindrop" on YouTube will give you some videos to see a raindrop first hand if you're not familiar with the process.  I might record Brewster's next one and put it up here.)

I muscle tested, and this is what I came up with:
Valor to balance his energy.
Frankincense, Thieves, Lavender, Copaiba and finish with Peppermint.  

We all love how he smells after this quick treatment, and he is just ridicuously full of life after I do this for him! 

He was seriously hyper!  I really believe it helps him feel better, as evidenced by the way he was prancing around. 
He in fact demanded a walk, and then decided to flop for a tummy rub part way through!  When he had enough of that he was up and racing home again. 



You will notice here that the Thieves and Peppermint bottles are a bit worn.  These are both hot oils, and should never be applied undiluted to an animal (or even most people).  These were my first bottles of both of these oils.  When they got down to about 1/3 to 1/4 full, I just topped them up with a carrier oil. (I used Fractionated Coconut Oil), so they are already dilute and ready to use. 

Of course I don't use these bottles for diffusing, becuase they are now diluted, but they are fantastic for using on us and Brewster directly from the bottle for the rest of the family too. 

I do still add more carrier oil while doing the massage for him to help the oils disperse better though. 

All in all, I don't think any one of the things I do for him regularly would have the same effect as their collective use.  
For now our Brewster is a happy, full of energy 12 year old bichon, in spite of what our vet said over a year ago.  

He's worth every second spent on these simple interventions, and I'm so grateful for finding each of these products to help him live out the remainder of his years a happy boy, as healthy as he can be. 

What sort of products, or practices do you use to help support your furbabies? 

I am a Young Living Independent Distributor, which means I buy my essential oils at the wholesale price rather than the retail price. I save 24% off retail, receive discounted shipping, and can earn free products through the Essential Rewards program as well as the ability to earn commissions. 

If you would like to become an Independent Distributor, I would love to sponsor you!  You can click HERE and enter 2066298 in the “Sponsor  and Enroller ID” boxes. 
I am always happy to answer any questions!  Email me at thepureoil@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment