Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Lavender

I have some Lavender in my front garden, and I love how beautiful it is. 

I can remember my mom always having enormous lavender plants and she would harvest the blooms and weave them into wands.  





I will have to try and find a picture of hers, but they looked much like these.



Mom tended to keep them in a vase or cup for display but we also had a few in the linen closet to keep everything smelling fresh. 

When it comes to lavender essential oil, I truly thought I'd never care for it.  I had purchased a bottle (a very popular brand) from a health food store years ago, after hearing of some wonderful benefits.   I never liked the smell, and in all truth I never found it at all therapeutic the numerous times I tried it for different things.  I wanted to love it, I really did, but it didn't do what lavender oil promised, and I hated the smell.  It was useless.  

Fast forward to Young Living.  If lavender hadn't come in the Premium Starter Kit  I likely never would have ordered it.  Fortunately for me it did!  I didn't like the smell any better than the other brand, but when I had occasion to use it, I did try it and was AMAZED at the quick results I got with it.  Clearly this is NOT the same lavender.  Then I did some searching and found a video on YouTube, that I'd love to link up here, but I can't find it now.  It was explained in the video that exports of lavender essential oil were reported higher than production in some countries.  What???  How can a country export more than was produced?  The presenter had paperwork and had done much research.  I understand we either believe them or we don't, but after my experience with a common health food store brand "lavender" that was clearly not the same thing as the lavender I now use, I'm inclined to buy into the adulteration argument. 

I've said before, lavender is NOT one of my favourite scents, and even the Young Living lavender isn't a favourite scent of mine, but even so, it's one I won't let myself run out of, and we use it whenever the properties of lavender are best for a job.  The scent might even be growing on me a bit. 

I find it very soothing for burns, and sometimes mix a few drops of the oil with a teaspoon or so of Aloe Vera juice to rub on either sunburn, or cooking burns.









Please have a look at the following links to some information from reputable sources on the wonders of Lavender! 

University of Maryland Medical Center

Medical News Today


I am allowing some of my blooms to dry and I think I will infuse some grape seed oil or other carrier oil with my own blooms to use as a massage oil.  This will smell much less of the strong lavender odor, and it will be nice to have it made from our own garden.  I hope to do a post on that later.

How about you?  Do you love the scent of lavender?  Is it an oil you turn to often?

I am a Young Living Independent Distributor, which means I buy my essential oils at the wholesale price rather than the retail price. I save 24% off retail, receive discounted shipping, and can earn free products through the Essential Rewards program as well as the ability to earn commissions. 

If you would like to become an Independent Distributor, I would love to sponsor you!  You can click HERE and enter 2066298 in the “Sponsor  and Enroller ID” boxes. 
I am always happy to answer any questions! 
Email me at thepureoil@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment